Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my blog! 

This is the place where I write about various things going on in my life.  I have read several homesteading blogs.  I thought, hey I can do this too!  So here I am.

I do not live on what you would call a "normal" or "typical" homstead.  I once read somewhere that homesteading doesn't require one to live on a farm.  You could live in the city and be a homesteader.  I live in a small town.  I have a decent sized yard.  I have a very small house. 

My husband and I have been feeling that longing, the calling, to become homesteaders.  We want to become more self-sufficient.  With the cost of living going up, we feel that this is what we should be doing.  Relying less on stores, and more on ourselves to provide things.

We started last year with a small garden.  We had success, although our harvest was small.  We bought a pressure canner in the fall.  We started canning.  It was time that we spent together, precious time, and we enjoyed it.  Husband and I can work very well together.  Isn't that what a wife and husband are supposed to do? 

This year we will be expanding our garden.  The small original garden will stay, but will be for the cuccumbers.  There will be a huge (well huge to us at least, and for the size of our yard) one added.  I bought my husband a tiller for his birthday.  It arrives next week.  I look forward to the day that we can start planting!

For the last couple of years husband has wanted chickens.  His dream is now becoming reality.  At first I didn't want chickens.  They bring more responsibility and chores.  With three children I thought I had enough on my plate.  My attitude slowly began to change though.  I now look forward to the day we will go pick them up.  In two weeks we will bring home our day old chicks.

I have been wanting a new dinning room set.  I have been bugging husband to buy me a new one.  I didn't care if it was used.  We have a round one with only three chairs...see the problem?  All of us can't fit at the table.  If we have company, well just forget that.  Last night I saw a post on our town's barter group.  A lady was selling her dinning room set with a hutch.  Pefect!  Husband gave his approval for me to purchase it.  It is old, but I love it.  What a difference a new dinning room set had made to our house.  I know it hasn't been a full day yet, but the change is great.  I spent some time rearranging things.  It is raining today, so I will wait for a nice sunny day to take a picture to share.

I hope you have enjoyed this first post. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/03/2012

    Welcome to the world of blogging! Kind regards from a homestead in Hungary, stopping by from Ravelry - Cheryl @ www.handcraftedtravellers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl! It was very kind of you to stop by.

      Delete